Monday 17 February 2014

Looking for inspiration in all the wrong places


So with 2014 already in full swing I have been pondering where my photography adventures have taken me over the past year.

But looking back can only get you so far, what about moving forward?

Well my skills have been improving but there is still more to do and learn. Fortunately the studio nights at bright lights are continuing, my confidence is steadily improving and I'm even finding myself starting to give not just direction but detailed direction to some of the models who are very pretty and on my first night there were able to inspire such a sense of somewhere between awe/ and a sense of confusion that they were actually talking to me that I might as well have been talking caveman ..." ugg, me caveman press button now to take picture of pretty girly"

(Side note if any of you have a second please go and visit one of the models blogs that I have worked with, Jo Jo  but be warned, it;s not part of facebook so some images on her website and blog are to be considered "adult" so consider yourself warned!" )

So all this studio practise gave me some inspiration. I decided that I wanted to spend some more time in the studio for "me" on my own project as it were rather then a TFP night or a family shoot. I came up with a idea to work again with one of my friends, firstly to take some classy fashion style shots in a ballgown and secondly to take pictures of her dancing as she's a awesome dancer and helped me to produce one of the best images in my portfolio, "dancer in the dark".

Which seemed simple and she agreed but unfortunatly life as it tends to do sometimes interfered and this project is now on the indefinite back burner.

So simple right. I just need to find some more inspiration, come up with a rock solid idea and away we go.

However the only thing that has gone away right now is inspiration.

I have zero, zilch, nada, not a thing.

And it's driving me crazy.

Even looking in magazines and photography books right not isn't help. As it's driving me mad as nothing is firing my imagination and making me sad as I look at some of these shots and wonder if I'll ever be able to do that.

That I remind myself that this time last year I would never have anticipated what I have done in the studio to date so I need to stop worrying about that.

But that brings us back to the main point. Inspiration or the lack of.

Now some people would argue that by looking so hard for inspiration that I might be actually failing to see it. And that may be true.

But like most cliches it doesn't always help ;-)

The only thing that springs to mind is I want to do something that allows personality to shine through.

Hopefully something else will spring to mind soon. And I'm sure some people will argue that with the amount of space in my head, a idea will be in there somewhere.

Later folks



No comments:

Post a Comment